Attend any state event in Ireland – presidential inaugurations, centenary celebrations or the visit of foreign Heads of State – and one of the bands of the Irish Defence Forces will be there performing music by Irish and international composers based on Irish melodies. Now for the first time a selection of the most popular and iconic of these compositions is available on Rhapsodic Winds, a new recording of The Band of the Irish Defence Forces from RTÉ lyric fm.
Marche tunes obviously play a key role in the Band’s repertoire and none more so than Irish Army March (1923), subtitled General Mulcahy March in honour of the then Chief of Staff of the newly formed Irish Army whose vision it had been to realise a military music school. The German musician Col W. F. Brase was appointed as the first director of the Irish Army School of Music and he arranged this and a number of other works on Rhapsodic Winds, articulating the spirit of the new republic in music.
Every track on Rhapsodic Winds is resonant with history. The CD opens with The Boys of Wexford (1963), the well-known 19th century ballad that President John F. Kennedy had heard performed during a visit to his ancestral home in Ireland and, on his return, requested Sammy Nestico, staff arranger of the US Marine Band, to produce a band arrangement.
AJ Potter, Hamilton Harty, John F. Larchet and Seán Ó Riada were key figures in the development of the western art-music tradition in Ireland in the 20th century and are all represented on Rhapsodic Winds in their takes on melodies like the rousing Finnegan’s Wake and traditional tunes like The Blackberry Blossom and Roisín Dubh.
In addition to fulfilling all ceremonial music requirements for the Irish State and military ceremonial within the Irish Defence Forces, military bands perform a busy schedule of public engagements including annual concert engagements in venues such as the National Concert Hall Dublin, City Hall Cork, and open air recitals in major venues throughout Ireland. Rhapsodic Winds captures the engaging music of The Band of the Irish Defence Forces that makes these public performances so popular and is a must for any CD collection.
1 - The Boys of Wexford [2:05]
2 - Rhapsody on The Minstrel Boy By Robert Farnon and His Orchestra [3:25]
3 - Finnegan's Wake [3:18]
4 - The Far Day (from An Irish Symphony) [2:56]
5 - Air from County Derry [4:12]
6 - Rollicking Rakes [2:37]
7 - Lament for Youth [3:43]
8 - Molly on the Shore By Percy Grainger [4:08]
9 - A Wexford Rhapsody By Thomas C. Kelly [7:15]
10 - The Blackthorn Wattle [4:29]
11 - O'Donnell Abu [2:53]
12 - Irish Dance No. 2 (The Frost is All Over) [4:47]
13 - Marche Bizarre By Gerard Victory [2:55]
14 - Irish Army March (General Mulcahy March) [3:38]
15 - Mise Éire [2:52]
Please refer to information provided on individual product pages for delivery and shipping time frames for your region.
When order has dispatched from ebuzz.ie, you will recieve a dispatch notification email. Please refer to Transit times below for expected delivery.
Orders are dispatched via An Post (Ireland's Postal Service) or Courier. If applicable, tracking details will be forwarded to you in your order dispatch notification email.
At Seasonal trading times i.e Black Friday & Christmas, some delays may occur, please allow an extra few days for delivery.
- Express Shipping - Ireland Only (2 Business Days)
- Ireland Standard (2 - 5 days)
- UK Standard (4 - 7 days)
- Rest Of Europe (4 - 7 days)
- Rest of World (5 - 13 days)
Rep of. Ireland - Free Delivery on all orders over €15. For orders under €15 standard delivery charges are from €2.50 - €4.50 depending on size and / or quantity of items ordered.
International Customers - Please refer to the shipping calculator when item(s) are added to cart for shipping rates to your region.
When an item is pre-ordered, it is held until the official release date (release date details can be found on individual product pages). If other items which are not pre-ordered are on the same order, the entire order will be held and dispatched upon release of the pre-ordered item(s).
Refunds & Returns:
ebuzz.ie complies with EU distance selling rules.
If you have changed your mind with your purchased product, you may return the goods to ebuzz.ie within 14 days of receipt.
- Item(s) must be in the same unopened condition that they were received in.
- Customer is responsible for the return postage cost of the goods. It is advisable that if the customer deems the goods of significant value that they use a tracked package option, as ebuzz.ie will not be liable for any non-receipt of goods that cannot be proved with a POD (Proof of Delivery) signature.
- Upon return of the goods, they will be inspected, and approved returns will be refunded for the item cost only (less shipping charges)
- Returned item(s) should be returned in the secure original postage packaging with delivery documents so ebuzz can identify and refund your order promptly.
Return to Address:
ebuzz.ie returns dept.
Unit B7 - B9 Calmount Business Park,
Rep. of Ireland
Faulty / Defective Goods:
For CD,DVD,4K, Blu-Ray & Vinyl
- If the item(s) are faulty or defective in any way, you can contact us within 30 days with the reason and seek a replacement or full refund.
- ebuzz.ie accepts reasonable returns postage charges and will also refund you for these once proof of postage is supplied. In some cases depending on value of the goods, ebuzz.ie may opt to send a courier to collect the faulty / defective item(s).
For Electrical items (Consoles, Laptops, Tablets, Phones and other high value items)
- These items have a 28 day DOA (dead on arrival) returns policy. If unit is faulty within this time period, ebuzz will accept return of the item and verify the fault as provided by the customer. If a genuine fault is found customer will receive option of a replacement or full refund. This applies only to genuine faults. If the item does not have a genuine fault… water damage, misuse or neglect… etc.. then the item will be returned to the customer without a refund.
- If the item is outside this DOA period of 28 days it will be covered under warranty direct with the manufacturer. Please contact the team for details on your specfic brand of product, and they will help you get the issue resolved.
Contact us online - Contact Us
or email us at Customer Care